Being the noob cook that I am, frying is not my favorite thing (although fried food is!). I have phobia for the splashing hot oil and when I do fry, I will stand as far away from the wok as my arm and spatula allow. But ever since we added Philips Airfryer to the kitchen gadgets, thanks to generous hubby, things have been so much easier, and safer =), for me.
This dish is my version of ‘fried’ chicken and since I am a big fan of spicy food, I add garlic and bird-eye chili (chili padi) for the extra kick. If you do not take spicy food, feel free to omit the chili part, the fried chicken is good on its own.
*Oven baking works well too for this dish by the way.
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 15 mins Cooking time: 30-45 mins
- Whole fresh chicken – cut to 12 parts
- 4 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 3 bird-eye chili, chopped – to taste/optional
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- dashes of pepper
- Marinade the chicken parts and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the Air Fryer at 180 degree. Arrange the chicken parts in the fryer (you can line the base with aluminium foil to minimize the washing later), take care not to overlap the chicken parts to ensure all parts are evenly cooked. You might need to fry them in batches.
- Air fry at 180 degree for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked (use a fork to poke the flesh, if it is cooked clear juices should flow out instead of blood).
- For the extra spice, collect the oil/chicken juices at the end of each frying and set aside in a small bowl. Add in the garlic and chili. Microwave over medium heat for 3 minutes. Sprinkle over the chicken and served hot.