I was first attracted to the western food because they were so new and different from what we got to see and have everyday (our little town was all about indonesian or chinese, the only thing western was probably the heritage buildings from the Dutch occupation era). The only time we could get our hands on burgers or pizza or the likes was during vacation when we travelled to Medan, 3 hours drive away from home. I remembered when Kentucky Fried Chicken first opened at our hometown, people were queueing to the car park! (We were not joining the line though, Mom wouldn’t allow us.)
Fast forward some 15 years and here I am in the kitchen having the time and fun to personally fulfill my childhood craving. I’ll start with the hamburger.
This recipe is easy and simple. Looks like it’s gonna be the family’s favorite for good (so happy when Hubby said “looks like the ones we had in the restaurant”, took a bite and continued “tastes like one too!”, and he’s not normally generous with his comments! 😉 ) I love to top my burger with cheese, egg, colorful veggies and a generous amount of tomato ketchup. Of course, you can experiment with different toppings and condiments as you prefer.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 30 mins Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 Burger buns
For the patty:
- 300 gr Minced beef
- 1 Egg
- 5 tbsp Bread crumb
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Slices of tomato
- Chopped onion
- Sauteed Shiitake mushroom
- French Fries (I airfried them using the Philips Airfryer, you can do it the traditional way otherwise.)
- Mix the ingredients for the patty well and shape them into four palm sized balls. Flatten the meatballs to form flat patties of approximately 3/4 inch thick.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan and fry the patties over medium low heat on each side until it turns dark brownish. Do not overcook them to keep the juiciness.
- Served on buns (spread some butter on the buns and have them pan fried for a minute for tastier buns) and top with your toppings of choice.
Enjoy, and get your napkins ready, it’s gonna be yummy it’s gonna be messy! 😉